Thursday, 24 November 2011

The C-word

A WIP so ancient it has moved house with me three times finally got frogged and made into something slightly useful. For about three days I was consumed with a perverse urge to crochet. I don't know what came over me, but I got a really long, violently garish scarf out of it.

The yarn is a mixture of odds and ends I got in a pack of random bits from Colinette, along with some turquoise silk of dubious provenance.

The pattern, such as it was, started with making a huge crochet chain, longer than the scarf I wanted. I did a row of double crochet in turquoise and then one-row chain stitch stripes of the other yarns in a semi-random pattern, with the turquoise reappearing at regular intervals, until I ran out. Then I finished it off with another row of double crochet in the turquoise. I started each row at the same end, never turning the work, because I prefer the way each side looks like that. Long 'tails' left at each end made the fringe easy.

Next time I get a midwinter craving for colour I know where to look!

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Natural dyeing experiment

Once I dared dive into the natural dye powder pack I was kindly given a couple of years ago, I came up with a lot of delicately coloured BFL/tencel roving.

Three ply smooshiness has finally resulted...and I've almost got all of the indigo out of the carpet ; )

It's not as washed out as the photos, but a lot more subdued than my usual taste. Might be nice for a baby.